Do you HATE dusting? Even people that enjoy cleaning often bemoan the need to constantly dust their house. After dusting, then you have to clean the floors and walls and wherever the dust has spread. The worst part? The dust seems to come back immediately!
If you hate dusting (does anyone like dusting?), it’s time to consider the culprit. While some accumulation of dust is normal, if it feels like you can’t ever get ahead of the grime, your HVAC filter may be to blame. A dirty filter in your air conditioning pushes dust out into your home and is unable to capture contaminants. It can’t pick up new dust because it’s already too choked with old dust. This not only makes your house dusty, but it also decreases air quality. Improve indoor air quality and cut your cleaning time by making sure to change HVAC filters regularly!
When you have clean filters, your HVAC system can actually help you clean. What!? My air conditioning can help me clean? It’s true! An efficient system with a clean filter can help remove particles from the air. Consider running your fan, especially after dusting, to help circulate air and catch large particles. This will help reduce dust and cut down the hours you need to spend time cleaning! Here are some other suggestions to reduce dust:
- Keep outdoor areas like patios, driveways, and porches well-swept so you’re not tracking dirt in
- Keep mats and rugs at entry points so that you can wipe your shoes at the door
- Use a filter with a higher MERV rating to capture finer particles
- Use a vacuum with HEPA filtration
- Consider reducing the upholstered items in your home (carpets, upholstered couches, drapes, pillows) in favor of hard services like hardwood that are easily cleaned and don’t harbor dust
What are your best tips for beating dust?